Tuesday, March 27, 2012

NYC Bachelorette - a review!


As I mentioned on Friday, I went to NYC this past weekend for my best friend's bachelorette party! 

Planning a bachelorette can be, well, difficult, especially when you're not only coordinating activities, dinner, surprises and hotel accommodations for 20 people, but there's also just about a gazillion options of things to do in New York!!!  

Where do you even begin?! 

But, this bride's sister / matron of honor did such an incredible job planning the entire outing - the weekend was right out of a movie.  Ridiculously fun and crazy - and definitely not your typical night out (nice dinner plus clubbing? boring!).  And I can honestly say I haven't had this much fun in a long time!

Anyways, I don't know about you, but I'm the type of person who appreciates a good recommendation before trying something out blind.  And since we all had so much fun, I thought I'd pass along two of the highlighted activities of the weekend in case you're faced with the exciting task of planning a bride-to-be's last fling! 

Pole Dancing Class @ Shockra
114 East 28th St. - btw Lexington and Park
Private Pole Party - $28pp



After taking this class, I can honestly say I have a whole new respect for strippers.  Not only is pole dancing physically challenging - talk about the need for both upper and lower body strength - but working the pole while also looking sexy?!  Now that is a fete all in its own! 

The private class is $28 pp and there are 10 poles in the room.  The instructor is friendly and funny and teaches you a number of different "moves" that you eventually build up into a sequence / routine.  The level of participation depends on you / your interest / your ability, but I can honestly say there wasn't a girl in the room who wasn't too shy to give the pole a try! 

Did I mention dressing up is encouraged?!  (Our bride, Kathryn, wore the most amazing sequined bra with a neon cut-out top - you go girl!)

Oh, and be prepared for some soreness the next day!  I wasn't kidding when I said it was a workout...!

Lucky Cheng's
24 First Ave. - btw 1st and 2nd St.


When you hear a name like Lucky Cheng's, you probably think its just another Asian restaurant in New York.  And you're right, they do serve Asian food for dinner (pre-fix menu, family style - food is just par).  But this is wayyyy more than a little Asian restaurant in the LES.  This is a drag show - a full on, no doubts about it, DRAG QUEEN CAPITAL OF THE WORLD type production.  And it is amazingly hysterical!  

this is honeslty the only blog appropriate picture I could post...
and of course this doesn't do the Queens any justice!

This spot is MADE for bachelorette and all-girl birthday parties!  Each table has their own "waitress" (read: queen) that literally works your table all night.  During dinner, you're entertained by the most energetic "dancer" who selects a few unsuspecting audience membesr to join her(him?) on stage. For a drag queen lap dance. In front of everyone.  And it includes the most vulgar of imitations that you'd never think you'd ever see in a restaurant.  And some mild groping. 

The show continues after dinner with a parade and introductions of all the Queens in the house.  (Which gave our group the opportunity to speculate which surgeries, hormone therapies, etc. these ladies had undergone..).  Regardless of the how or why, my hat is off to these performers!  They were so entertaining, personable, friendly and fun!  And most had better boobs and legs than the rest of us!!!  (not fair!)

The grand finale includes 6 audience members competing in a lap dance contest given to one of the very few gay men in attendance (because there were a few!).  I applaud all of these participants, including our bride, for their balls (no, that's not the right word...).  I have never laughed so hard in my entire life!

Did I mention there's a guy that also makes naughty balloon animals for your table?!  How's that for adult entertainment?

Anyways, let's just say Lucky Cheng's is an experience you both can't wait and don't ever want to forget.  Oh the things we saw...

Have you planned / attended a bachelorette in New York recently?  I'd love some of your recommendations, especially since we'll be throwing my sister one soon (and for some reason, don't think a drag show will be on her agenda!).

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I really like your bachelor party images. I am also looking for the best bachelorette party places as soon as possible. Please recommend the best venues for my bachelor party.

    best bachelorette party nyc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree that venues in Chicago are becoming first choice for parties. I have also booked a beautiful venue for my wedding. Thinking to host my bachelorette party at one of local happy hour venue. Hopefully, will find the venue soon.

    ReplyDelete